Design is a tool with which you can attract the attention of consumers to products and increase sales. Packaging design helps to present the product in the most attractive light. High-quality packaging design helps to understand what the product is intended for, how to use it and, most importantly, makes you want to buy it.
Creating a packaging design: the main issues
To create a marketing design of packaging and labels, you need to answer 3 questions.
- What product is it developed for? When creating a label and packaging design, it is necessary to take into account the main characteristics of the product. For example, for fragile items need a tight package that can protect against mechanical damage.
- Who is its target audience? Is it men, women, or does the product fall into the category of unisex? It is also important to know what price segment the product is designed for. All these factors influence the choice of packaging design. For example, in the development of packaging design for luxury goods, it is necessary to use elements that evoke thoughts of luxury: restrained colors, embossing, etc. Products can be focused on environmentally conscious people. In this case, it is necessary to use natural materials for packaging design.
- Under what circumstances do people buy products? It is necessary to know the place of purchase of goods: supermarket, boutique,small or large retail.Packaging design is perceived differently, depending on the place where it will be seen by the consumer. The consumer’s reaction to the packaging that the buyer will see on the Internet, and his reaction to the same thing on the store shelf may differ.
You can find out consumer preferences by ordering a marketing research.
Packaging design has a significant impact on sales. About 60% of consumers pay attention to the product because of the attractive packaging design. Another 50% of consumers are ready to buy unnecessary goods for the sake of beautiful packaging.
A redesign of the packaging also helps to increase sales. The English brand Dorset Cereals was engaged in the production of Breakfast cereals and was not very popular. Its cost was 4 million pounds. After the redesign of the packaging, the cost of the brand increased to 45 million pounds.
Packaging that sells: what’s special about it
1. Chocolate Tallinn Doors. The packaging design of this product tells a story. Each chocolate bar serves as a kind of door to the ancient Tallinn. This design is popular with both locals and tourists who want to find original Souvenirs.
2. Essense dairy brand. The designers of the brand went against the canons and did not make the packaging in light colors. It is the absence of such traditional elements as the depiction of animals, pitchers and earthenware, distinguishes this milk brand from the rest.
3. The children’s food brand Little Dish.To increase sales, the brand changed the illustration of the packaging, making them more vivid. As a result, sales of Little Dish grew by 17% over the year.
4. Wine brand La Sonrisa de Tares. The designers of the brand decided to attract the attention of consumers with an unusual design. Posted on Etiketten abstract geometric illustration. Thanks to the harmoniously matched colors it compares favorably with competitors.
5. Neptuno Malbec Wine. Bright collage on the label attracts attention at first sight. Designers used an unusual illustration that plays with the name of the brand. It depicts Neptune, the sea, a mermaid, and all this against the background of outer space.Brand information, subject in this way, attracts more attention than simple text.
Packaging design development: main trends
To create an attractive package design, you need to take into account current trends. In 2019, these include.
1. Simplicity and clarity. In an ever-changing world, customers always have time to carefully study the packaging. Therefore, one of the main trends was the maximum simplicity. This means a minimum of details on the packaging and only important information about the product.
2. Fonts. Unusual fonts can distinguish the packaging from other products. A specially designed font is akin to manual work, it evokes emotional attachment. Also, the font is able to emphasize the features of the product. For example, curved, smooth lines are perfectly combined with water-based products: tonics, serums, lotions.
3. Unusual color. It is known that the color can cause certain emotions and affects the decision to buy. Therefore, the choice of color is one of the most important stages of packaging and label design. Bright colors and associations have become a modern trend. Sometimes it is difficult for the consumer to remember the name of the product, but he remembers that the product was sold in a box of a certain color.
Different shades of the same color can be used in the design of packaging and labels for the line.
4. Use patterns. Properly selected patterns can make the packaging design more colorful. As a pattern, you can use a motif that reflects the inner essence of the brand. For example, a pattern in the form of leaves will emphasize the naturalness of the eco-brand.
5. Illustrations. Behind the design of each product is a story. Story illustration is a great way to tell it to the consumer. Also illustrations help to tell about the product, to reveal its unusual sides. Illustrations on the packaging help to create a certain image of the brand and give it integrity.
6. Mail items. The tendency to create packaging design in the form of postal parcels is becoming popular. Most people have a mailing associated with the far countries, travels and Souvenirs.
For example, the Kokomo brand produces coffee. Grains for it are collected in different regions of the world. For each variety, a packaging design with individual post stamps, unique for each region. This gives the consumer the impression that this coffee was grown specifically for him.
7. Inspection window. Traditional packaging hides the contents of the box, and many customers do not like it. They want to know what the product looks like inside. So popular is the design of the packaging with a viewing window. So the buyer can see the contents of the package and be confident in the quality of the product.
8. Vintage. Vintage style design has been popular for many years. It brings back the older generation of consumers in their youth. Young people also get the opportunity to touch another era.
9. Naturalness. One of the main trends of the 21st century is the fashion for a healthy lifestyle. People choose products that do not contain harmful additives and preservatives. This is reflected in the design of the package. Emphasize the naturalness of the product can be used for packaging restrained, natural colors.
10. Portability. The pace of modern life has accelerated. Most of the time they spend at work or different training courses, not at home. Therefore, there is a growing need for small packaging formats, so that products can be constantly carried.
To develop a marketing packaging design, it is necessary to take into account the individual characteristics of the product itself. In our blog you can read about the creation of the design of packaging of sweets and alcohol.
Packaging design is able to make the product special and unique! You can find out the price of packaging design development from the managers of KOLORO Agency (communication window in the lower right corner).
How to design a label: basic rules
Designers call the packaging and label the face of the brand. Thanks to them, you can show the inner essence of the product, to reveal its main characteristics. To develop a quality label design, it is necessary to take into account such rules.
1. Harmonious composition. Many elements must be placed on the label:
- mandatory information (expiration dates, bar code, address reproduction, etc.));
- additional information about the brand.
All these elements should be in harmony with each other and combined in the label space.
2. Free space. Gone are the days when it was necessary to fill every millimeter of the label. The feeling of space and airiness is a new trend in label design. It is necessary to maintain a balance of filled and free areas. An overabundance of information causes irritation among customers.
3. Hierarchy of information. Psychologically, it is conditioned that a person perceives information in a certain order. This also applies to the choice of goods. Also, people want to get the information as quickly as possible. Therefore, the information on the package should be placed so that the buyer could read it in a few seconds. These factors should be taken into account when designing the packaging. For the consumer, the most convenient location of information is as follows:
- element to attract attention;
- brand name;
- product name;
- product information.
Create packaging design: new horizons
It is a well-known fact that when creating a packaging design it is necessary to focus on the target audience of products. At the same time, the opinion of some consumers has not been taken into account for many years.
In the development of product design for children, many manufacturers are guided solely by the tastes of parents. Manufacturers are afraid to contact the child directly. At the same time, networks can take an active part in the selection of goods. In addition, the use of such products will be a child, which means that the design should be pleasant to him. Developing the design of packaging for children, you can use these tactics:
The use of simple stories. Children, especially those of kindergarten and primary school age, find it difficult to keep multilevel stories in mind. Therefore, the packaging design should reveal one particular aspect. For example, on the packaging of ice cream, you can draw the process of its use.Game element. It is very important for children to interact with the world. An example is the packaging of water from the brand “Y Water”. The title plays out the question Y? The pronunciation of the letter Y is consonant with the pronunciation of the word “why” (why). Why choose this product? Because children want to have fun, and packaging should help them in this. After the water is drunk, the bottle can be used as a design element. Bottles can be connected to each other and thus build the desired design. Carbonated water brand “Y Water” is designed for children, so there is no advertising information on the package. Only the logo in the form of the letter Y. brand Information is placed on the attached label, which can be read by parents.Characters-conductors. To attract the child’s attention and interest him, you can use different characters. They are easy to remember and cause a sense of affection. The character can become a companion of the child, who explains how to use a particular product.
Selling packaging design: conclusions:
- Packaging should be visible. It can be distinguished by an unusual shape, bright colors or images. Many consumers come to the store for products of a certain, already familiar brand. Unusual design can make you interested in a new product and consider it.
- When developing the product packaging design, we should not forget about the functionality.
- Packaging design should cause positive emotions.